Generating electricity using solar Photovoltaic (PV) technology in increasing the resiliency and sustainability of businesses.
Econergco will work with the international and local stakeholders in primary health care delivery to deploy Solar plus Energy Storage, Vaccine Refrigerator, Fan, LED Lighting, and Solar Hot Water System as a package under the Solar4Health Initiative. The initiative would tap the abundant sunlight in Nigeria to provide the much needed power supply to the primary health centres across the country so as to save lives.
Access to reliable power will ensure smooth running of equipments such as vaccine refrigerators, life-saving medical devices, equipment sterilization, lighting for emergency medical services, amongst others, and clinics are capable of more and better services, and our dear women in rural areas will no longer die of pregnancy and childbirth related complication.
EXPECTED OUTCOMES OF THE PROJECT
- Prolonged opening hours with general lighting and security lights provided.
- Wider range of services implemented, because more qualified staff are attracted to stay
- Improved emergency surgical services.
- Better obstetric emergency care (many maternal deaths are due to birthing complications).
- Improved management of childhood illnesses.
- Better management of chronic conditions.
- Improved referral system (radio communication system between peripheral and referral units)
- Better sterilization procedures leading to fewer complications.
- Improved planning and quality assurance.
Health and Safety
- General cleanliness improves with adequate lighting and water available.
- Inpatients feel more comfortable and secure.
- Staff feel more secure.
- Security lights provided during evening open hours.
Disease prevention and treatments
- Improved cold chain and vaccine storage conditions will yield lower immunization failure rates and better immunization coverage.
- Improved testing for HIV and TB.
- Evening awareness sessions are possible with general lighting and TV/VCR
Staff recruitment and retention
- Better job satisfaction for staff because of better living and working conditions.
- Staff will want to stay longer in a place where there are better living and working conditions.
- Electricity in staff houses means continued medical education is possible.
- Easier recruitment of staff to locations with electricity and water.
- Easier to train staff because of improved lighting, equipment and TV/VCR.
Administration and logistics
- Better administration, since it can be done in the evening.
- Better communication between health facilities and better planning of transport logistics.
The use of incandescent bulbs (energy wasteful, conventional light bulbs) in Nigeria’s lighting sector alone is responsible for about 35% of the country’s total power consumption, which compares to a global average of 13%. This offers potential energy savings of 50-70%, and these savings increase when combined with LED smart controls. Large scale adoption of LED lighting could bring the figure for Nigeria down to the global average, and significantly cutting its carbon emissions as well as the need to build more energy plants to meet the critical energy needs of the people.
This Initiative represents one of the most actionable and readily available technologies to reduce intensive energy consumption and energy bills of the electricity users in the country, cut carbon emissions in cities in Nigeria, and help the country reach her carbon emission target.
The LED Lighting Initiative aims to work in partnership with the stakeholders in the efficient lighting and climate action to encourage LED lighting adoption for homes, offices and public lighting across the country, thereby helps achieve the reduction in energy consumption and considerable cutting of carbon emissions.
EXPECTED OUTCOMES OF THE PROJECT
Lifetime Energy Savings
One of the main advantages of LED lighting is the reduced power consumption. LED luminaires use just a fraction of the energy required to operate traditional lighting; as energy demands rise, the cost savings and carbon reduction from upgrading to LED lighting will continue to reduce operational costs.
Reduced Maintenance Costs
Maintenance cost savings is one of the major benefits realized when making the switch to LED lighting. Designed for extended life, LED luminaires will last much longer than conventional lighting, which equates to fewer replacements over time and less money spent on maintaining your lighting system.
Long-Term Financial Benefits
LED lamps offer some of the most energy-efficient and long-lasting lighting in the industry. This translates to financial savings through reduced operational costs and less money spent on maintenance due to extended product life. Depending on the application, the payback period for LED lighting typically ranges from one to three years.
Protect the environment
LED lighting is a great way to reduce your carbon footprint. Buildings are responsible for 38 percent of all carbon emissions around the world, and going efficient with your lighting can significantly decrease that number.
Agriculture is the backbone of Nigeria’s economy, employing 70% of the population, especially in the rural areas, and is key to the country’s growth and poverty reduction. However, dependence on rains and lack of sustainable irrigation system are holding back productivity and profitability and hence affecting food security. Currently, farmers depend on expensive diesel and petrol water pumps for irrigation, often the fuel price are hiked in the local market and the farmers have to pay more than the government approved fuel price. More so is the high carbon emission currently being emitted by the fossil powered pumps.
The main goal of the solar irrigation initiative is to work with partners and stakeholders in various farming initiatives in Nigeria, especially in rice production to promote the use of solar powered pumps in an irrigation scheme across the country, thereby reducing the current high cost of irrigation and guarantee all-year crop production and hence improve food security of the country.
The solution will provide reliable, cost-effective and environmentally sustainable energy for decentralized irrigation services, thereby leads to improved yields, reduces vulnerability to changing rainfall patterns as climate change effects bite harder.
EXPECTED OUTCOMES OF THE PROJECT
We expect the initiative to improve the quality of life of the farmers as they will have more spare time for other productive purposes, increase their crop yield as a result of adequate water access, enhanced crop resilience and food security, and increase their income based on the reduction in the cost of irrigation system, while the initiative would help government reduce fuel imports, reduced spending on fuel subsidies, increase agricultural economic output, and help meet the Nigeria’s obligation to emissions reduction. Furthermore, the initiative would help stimulate socio-economic development in the agriculture sector helping to fight against poverty, improved livelihoods of the farmers and increased social welfare.
For partnership, support and/or further details